Sunday, November 29, 2009

Culinary Disasters

Overall today has been a horrific experience for me as an amatuer chef. There are two more things I have blacklisted myself from ever doing.

1. Do not ever ever add WHIPPING CREAM into meals.
    ( It is freaking sweet plus disgusting.. Only to be used for cakes and
      pastries...)

2. Garlic should be added moderately if not fried beforehand. If not the
    taste will overpower everything else.
   ( Some peole hate the garlic although it is fragrant after frying till golden
     brown)



This actually isn't my first time having wrongly used whipping cream during my kitchen sessions. If I remember clearly, the first would be during my fifth form. I decided to make Carbonara pasta on that beautiful day as lunch for my sis, cousin and I. It was a new recipe for me as the ingredients and procedures were quite complicated. I failed to purchase heavy cream at supermarkets anywhere so I came up with a cool idea of butter-fy my whipping cream. Based on the statistics of fat percentage, I made little modifications to transform the whipping cream into a heavy cream. The result was quite satisfying I dare say. However, I forgot one simple thing about whipping cream - THEY ARE SWEET. So I went on with the recipe without tasting the sauce I made..... Until serving time of course. My sister was my guinea pig and she was shocked by the super sweet sauce. It then occured to me that whipping cream is sweet and there goes the entire meal. I thought I had made a mental note about it since then. Looks like I forgot again today.

Today I invited Steven over for lunch. We both decided on mashed potatoes and mushroom soup. I had earlier found a recipe, went to the supermarket and got all my ingredients. The same thing repeated itself. The best was that both dish has a large amount of whipping cream in it. The results again - super sweet. Further more was that I added a little too much garlic into my mushroom soup that it literally became garlic soup. During the process to rescue it, I added whipping cream and all hell broke loose. Nothing was left edible; maybe only the prawn crackers my mom bought home and the plain toast bread.

After these catastrophe, I have decided on the blacklisting. Although it was a complete failure, it was fun to mess up the kitchen. But hell not fun to clean it back again. I guess we gotta always clean up our own mess, so don't make so much in whatever you are doing.


Just came back from Thain dinner at a restaurant near my place. The meal was satisfying and now I am filled. This will be it for today, I'm a little tired from certain activities today... Haha... Only 2 people in the entire world kow about this. Its nothing dirty okay? Please cleanse any murky thought you were having. ^^

See ya. Btw, interviews tomorrow. Wish me luck.

0 comments :